Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The waiting is the hardest part...

Preparing for auditions and call-backs takes work. But ultimately, if the auditions go well, or you at least feel you've done good work, there is joy in those moments. If you don't go to auditions, you certainly aren't waiting for a call. But when you have done good work and get good feedback and then don't hear anything...it can take a toll...especially if you get even closer with a call-back or two. And unlike other arenas, you won't get a call, an email or letter saying that they went with someone else. Now if you have an agent, they will often inquire for you, but if you don't, and a lot of us don't, you just won't know until the cast list shows up on Playbill or you know rehearsals have started without you.

It's during those times that you have to focus extra hard on what makes you glad to be in the biz. Keep going to auditions, keep sending things out, keep taking classes and meeting people. It's too easy to start feeling sorry for yourself, wondering why they didn't choose you when you know you knocked it out of the park and they even said so! We have to keep reminding ourselves that it is about the work that we create and part of that is just enjoying the auditions and call back as that creation even if it doesn't lead to THE JOB.

I've been waiting over a week now to hear about the First National Tour of Mel Brook's YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN after my call-back for Igor last week. I had to learn a song and two scenes from the show and I thought I did a great job and the Musical Director seemed to really like my work in both the audition and the call-back. But now...nada. So today, I dropped thank-you notes off at the casting office for the assistant who sent me the sides, the casting director, the reader and the musical director. And I have to stop "waiting" and let it go. That doesn't mean i won't pay attention to what is going on with the show - on the contrary - any time they have replacement or understudy or any sort of call for Igor, I will try to be there. But I have to stop waiting for another call or it impedes me from doing other things and moving forward.

I hope I can practice what I preach in this case. I've had some other great auditions in the past few weeks and haven't even gotten a call-back for those projects. We used to say you have to do 100 auditions to get 10 call-backs and 1 show. Here's hoping my show is comin' up.

I do have SOME good news to report...I have been cast in a reading of a new musical and the webisodes of CAPTAIN STARGOOD that I have created two voices for launches this week.

So let's not wait for something to happen or for a phone call that may never come. Let's just keep goin' after it on multiple fronts and believe that when the call comes; when the contract is ready for our signature, that we will be ready and grateful and deserving!

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever thought about a smaller like say Atlanta?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous...believe me, I have thought about all sorts of things: moving back to Buffalo and trying to do work with some of my old buds; moving to Tampa where my cousin lives and tryin' for Disney and some theatres down there. But the truth is, no matter where you are in this biz the challenges are the same. I moved to Chicago for several years and couldn't get arrested. Everyone said the same thing..."you're great, but you are a New York transplant and ya gotta pay your dues here before anyone will hire you." So no matter where I would go, it would be like starting over. And as much as I enjoyed Chicago, and am certain I would like other cities and towns, there ain't NO place like NYC!

    ReplyDelete