Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Visual arts?

Happy New Year one and all!

As I gear up for a major move to Los Angeles, I am probably just as excited about the prospect of the art I hope to make off camera, as I am the work I hope to do ON camera. You see, over the summer, I discovered that I have an interest in photography and painting. Now let me say that both my mother and father were painters...my Mom was really gifted and altho she only painted for a brief time as therapy, her work is inspirational and was the basis of my book, FLOWERS IN AUTUMN: endings and beginnings published a while ago. I could never even sketch the skunk out of the back of the TV guide and never fancied the idea of picking up a brush. That is...until I met my love this summer, who is a brilliant artist and performance artist. His work so inspired me that I decided to just buy some canvas and paints and brushes and go for it! i went to an installation in Brooklyn where one of his pieces was on display and told the gallery owner of my wish to paint but wondered without any classes or training if I should. He told me that I should just go for it and have fun and explore it all. He said classes can sometimes actually inhibit the creative talent with rules and boundaries. Another artist friend of mine said the same things so I went for it! Amazingly I discovered a real joy for painting (mostly acrylic but now dabbling in oils) and have found that I just have a blast and lose time when I am with the paints and brushes. Now I have no idea if I am any good but I am excited to create my own art (as well as work on projects with my fiancee) as we both make our way in Los Angeles. And I wonder, just a bit, if maybe that carefree, I'm just gonna go for it and have a blast attitude that I have found for painting and photography might just be the answer with my acting career! I sometimes think we have a tendency to blame everyone else for our lack of success and achievement and the more I look within, I realize that maybe I am my own biggest enemy. If I throw off all the limitations and just go for it and have fun, the end result won't matter as much (and since that is usually out of my control anyway, that's a good thing right?) I just hope that with the new move, comes a new attitude for me...a new perspective. I look forward to just "seeking the joy" in the work and just showing up and letting the result be what it will. Yes...I do want to be successful in my craft and career. But ya know what? I already am! And I am blessed that so many amazing talents have collaborated with me on wonderful projects and given me the chance to shine.

But since I began this entry talking about visual arts, I thought I would share two pieces from my latest project called: PILES. I was inspired to start this one day when I was in a rural area of Pennsylvania outside of Pittsburgh. I was driving on a back road and saw two piles on the same bit of property. One was a pile of fire wood; the other a pile of cinder blocks. Both piles struck my eye but it also dawned on me that without man, those piles would never exist. There are very few things that "naturally" pile. One thing that piles is snow. Another is poop (I hear some of you saying "ewwwww!" and of course leaves naturally pile. As I love autumn leaves I had the idea that I would begin to find piles that are man-made, take a photo of those piles and then, alter the photos and add two leaves to each one as if to imply that the falling leaves have now created these piles of other things. One of those altered photos is at the top of my blog. Here are the cinder blocks. And I already have a series of about 15 piles from baskets, to cars to giant ornaments in a fountain in New York City. Enjoy! Seek the joy in art and your life will be full of smiles and possibilities!

PHOTO OF CINDER BLOCKS






1 comment: