Monday, December 31, 2012

Out with the old...


...and in with the new!  Well...maybe so, but not without some reflection and gratitude for an exciting, challenging and artistic 2012!  It has been almost 6 months since my last blog entry here, primarily because I have spent a great deal of time with my Cooking Show Blog, COOKING EASY WITH PATRICK

With that said, I thought it was important as we say so long to 2012 and ring in the New Year to reflect on the creative success of this past year and say a few words about "letting go."

First off...a list of really great creative accomplishments for 2012:
*The move to LA
*Creating a Cooking Show and having a blast with it
*Finished my new One-Act, THE DAYS AFTER
*Co-starring in the American Premiere of THE IMAGINARY LIFE OF THE STREET SWEEPER AUGUST G at Casa 0101 Theatre in LA
*Signing with The Bohemia Group
*Having featured roles in an Indie Film (ESAI'S CROSSING) and a pilot (50 STARS)
*Starring as El Gallo in The Gilbert Theatre Production of THE FANTASTICKS
*Being nominated for a Pryer Award for Best Actor in a Musical for THE FANTASTICKS
*Running a Stage Management Intensive and giving a Stage Management Workshop
*Having two of my 10-minute plays chosen for readings and workshop
*Saw some great theatre including PETER AND THE STARCATCHER on Broadway, WAR HORSE and RED at Mark Taper and JITNEY at Pasadena Playhouse
*Great photo shoot with Greg Crowder
*Some great audition opportunities and cast in two shows (ROMEO AN JULIET and JEKYLL AND HYDE) I had to turn down
*Being hired to direct THE LAST DAYS OF JUDAS ISCARIOT
*Having the PIE Holiday Stories and Carols CD finally launched
*Ending the year with a paid Choir Gig for the Christmas Holiday

Needless to say I am grateful.

But I am also mindful of the serious events that took place that are much larger than myself and have a lasting impact on all of us: the elections, the shootings around the country (especially the one in Connecticut), the Hurricane, the hunger and atrocities that take place every minute around the world, the losses that my family and friends suffered this year, and the idea that the world might come to an end or at least shift.  All of these things are part of the experience of life and all of them are examples of why each day is a gift and we must try to live it to the fullest!

I am also struck by the accomplishments of others - whether creative or spiritual, or in the case of my friend Jimmy, riding in AIDS RIDE LA to make life better for those living with HIV/AIDS or my friend Kate organizing an amazing Shakespeare Fundraiser for victims of Hurricane Sandy!

And as I begin to see my 47th year on the horizon as 2013 approaches I am hopeful that the lessons I learned this year will carry forward and propel me to be more present in my daily life...to be more joyful and serene with all that I do and all that I have - because indeed I have so much in my life!  I am especially grateful for Shane!

Having goals and dreams is certainly an important component to our lives, but I am also reminded of what my Auntie Carmie used to say to me all the time: "Stop and smell the roses."

The biggest lesson I take with me from this past year is LETTING GO.  When I let go of the things I can't control; when I am present and being of service to others and taking care of myself and let go of fear and anxiety and "expectations" I find that my life is much more balanced...and frankly, success (whatever that means) seems to find its way to me in the things that matter most in my life.

So in 2013 I hope that we can all find ourselves stopping and smelling the roses a bit more often, admiring their beauty, letting go and being grateful for all we have right now.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2 comments:

  1. May your 2013 bring you & Sookieeee all you wish & work for .... My Best to You .... PMc

    ReplyDelete